Sunday 22 July 2007

Drawing Lines..

I remember the Social Science text books that used to teach secularism and universal tolerance. It was imbibed in us that discrimination on any grounds is downright evil. The civil books used to boast of fundamental rights and duties and the glorious, dreamy Preamble to the Constitution that we would eagerly cram and rant out on the slightest cue.

However, as I grew older, I gradually faced the reality. That discrimination is ubiquitous. The books seemed to be mocking at me now. I felt fooled. Fooled by the principles I was raring to strive by all my life. I learnt that being the daughter of two doctors does help in more ways than one. That having membership for the zaniest clubs adds on to one's value in the market. That "Contacts" help.

I also realised that "The caste system is abolished" is the biggest lie ever published, coz it's most definitely not. If the youth were more tolerant and nonchalant of this idea earlier, it has now been hammered into their heads really well. A general category student feels wronged and cheated when a less deserving candidate gets a seat which was rightfully his, and hence, knowingly/unknowingly he develops a lurking hatred for the next person he meets who basks in reservations.

I was shocked at first when I realised that even my parents make remarks about communities. But going out in the world, I realised that they're the most secular and tolerant people I know. And also, that meeting all kinds of new people who come from various backgrounds, it is very true that a particular trait is striking in the people coming from one region, or belonging to one culture.

Another aspect that pricks one's mind and makes one realise that she is different fromt he other is when she sees excessive chivalry amongst people of a particular sect and feels alienated.

As a young girl I never imagined that I would, out of all the people, turn out to be a prejudiced individual. But I am. Now, religion, language, caste.. does matter to me. Yes, not in a hateful way, ofcourse. But I realise that all these factors do play a very significant role in one's thoughts, temperament, attitude and horizons.

The other day a friend sent me a link to a few translated pieces of the Qoran that were very hateful. A senior of mine reads up all that he can find about every religion and writes about how inhuman and barbaric they actuall are while they claim to be burdened with the other races to be uplifted, etc. But I know that all that will not affect me. I am not here to hate. i am here to love, forgive and forget.

It's not like I am a discriminating person. I am not. I am a very tolerant individual who respects every other. But this feeling is inevitable. I really cannot trust a Muslim with my life, because who knows, he might just be peering into his computer attending secret meetings and gearing up to be the next suicide bomber. What is ironical is that my best friend is Bohra. And I love her a lot. True. Also, I have many many Muslim friends who have never been Muslim friends to me, just great friends. And I am a good friend to them too. So it's really not about the entire community. I have no hatred in my heart, but apprehension truly exists.

I cannot possibly have a problem with any particular religion for the simple reason that I am not completely aware of their teachings. I am a believer. But I feel that if statistics show that a particular religion is triggering inhuman, barbaric activities and thoughts, atleast there's room for improvement. Any religion can only flourish with evolution. The teachings of 200 years ago cannot work now. And even if one tries to ignore what is not to be ingested, it might just seep in without one realising it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!
    Indira Gandhi once wrote an article which was titled 'Scaterred Thoughts..Hurriedly written'. Isn't it an apt title for this post of yur's :-). I mean it in a nice way. you have put in a lot of introspection. Ill try to comment one by one.

    1) "The caste system is abolished">> This simply means that we have constitutionally acknowledged that the caste system is an evil and hope that our benighted upper caste society will someday wake up to realise that :- for the years of cruelty that they have been heaping on their hapless lower caste brothers, reservation is the smallest retribution.
    The reservation in education is the first brush with the casteist reality for urban children. I too was outraged at this 'injustice' until I understood that 50 % seats for 70% of India's population is not even unfair on the remaining 30%. Those who say reservation doesn't solve problems should take a look at the cut off % for OBC's they have been steadily rising and will soon catch up with open category cut offs.
    A son bears the burden of repaying his fathers debts. Reservation and affirmative actions are our way of atoning the mistakes of our forefathers

    2) Now, religion, language, caste.. does matter to me. Yes, not in a hateful way, ofcourse.>>
    These things are not hateful..but certainly excluvist..Any thing that is exclusive is based on discrimination.
    I can understand how you feel, I feel the same way. First we need to be convinced that the caste of a person matters only to our minds The next step is to make a concious effort to eliminate that form our thoughts.

    3)I really cannot trust a Muslim with my life,>>> I can't either and believe me thats not rare, most muslims wont trust other Muslims with their lives..witness the kurd.arab.sunni triological killing fest going on in Iraq.

    4) Muslim friends who have never been Muslim friends to me, just great friends>>> I have parents who have been really nice to me..hence I cannot believe it when i hear of parents who abuse their kids. But its true isnt' it?
    Every community has its share of crackpots but what is alarming is why almost eveyrtime we read of a terror attack there is the 'M' word present.

    5) translated pieces of the Qoran that were very hateful.>>I wonder if thats the reason. The flaw might be in the source itself.

    How's that for a structered reply :)

    ReplyDelete