Saturday 14 August 2010

Hearty Hyderabad

I had always heard about the city - only with reference to food and pearls. The city had already come to me in some way or the other before - a friend's mom got me pearl earrings once. Another friend got me Karachi Bakery biscuits and another still got me biryani when he flew down which turned out to be amazing.

I landed here and bunked with friends. I got the tips and pointers I needed about the city. And as each day passed I built my own opinion of everyone and everything here.

It's a city drenched with history, old monuments still stand calmly by the roads laid with stone. Cultures blend here in the most unimaginable way. Muslims celebrate Ganeshotsav. Non vegetarian non-muslims make the most of Ramzan and savour Haleem. The name of every place is as colourful as the people - Begumpet to Jagathgirigutta - I'm pretty used to the names now. But initially I would step back to actually know what is what.

The food is a good blend for all palettes. You can't get enough of the biryanis. The bakeries are ubiquitous. And so are the South Indian Restaurants. I've had Italian, Lebanese and Thai food here - not that I haven't had these cuisines in other metros - but not at THESE prices.

The people are as warm as they are fun. Either they speak Telugu and have strong political opinions about Andhra and Telangana, or they speak Hindi with an attitude that leave you gaping for the first few conversations. After a while you find yourself speaking in the same way. There is a surprising Marathi, Oriya and Bihari influence in parts of the city too. And like every other place, the Marwadis adorn the markets turning Begum Bazaar and Lingampally into Mini Rajasthan where people are sticklers for Baba Ramdev products and follow the Swadeshi cult. You run into tribals at the Paradise crossing selling toy bows and arrows that you used to buy at Dusherra from the fair. You see one of them with a capacitor turned into a earring. And you wonder - East is east and west is west - and the twain do meet at times.

I wonder why I'm falling in love with this city so much. Probably it reminds me of where I come from - a city of smiling people with huge appetites. Perhaps I just like the food. Or the winding roads where driving is always a pleasure. It could be that I am comfortable with the work and the routine and touch wood, haven't had any tough times so far. Or may be, just may be, the friends I have here make all the difference. The friends who make for me - a home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment